Welcome to www.anzsops.org, the website for the Australian and New Zealand Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeons.
Members are specialist Ophthalmologists who have undertaken advanced sub-specialist training in surgery of the Eyelid, Orbit and Lacrimal systems. All members are fellows of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO). The Society was established to advance the education, research, and patient care in Australia and New Zealand in this specialized surgical field. The Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeon offers assessment and management in a wide range of eye, eyelid, lacrimal and orbital conditions including:
- Eyelid disease and reconstructive surgery, including Ptosis (eyelids that 'droop'), Ectropion (eyelids that turn outwards), Entropion (eyelids that turn inwards)
- Eyelid skin cancer surgery and reconstruction
- Watery eyes and tear duct surgery in children and in adults
- Orbital disease and tumours
- Thyroid eye disease
- Eyelid trauma and Orbital trauma surgery
- Artificial eye and eye-socket reconstructive surgery
- Cosmetic surgery of the face, eyelids and eyebrow.
Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeons are medical doctors who have specialized in Ophthalmology (Diseases and Surgery of the Eye), and then have completed an additional 1-2 years of advanced fellowship training in surgery of the Eyelid, Orbit and Lacrimal systems. To advance patient care Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeons generally have established working relationships with general ophthalmologists, optometrist, general medical practitioners, artificial eye makers, and with departments of dermatology, otolaryngology (ENT), plastic surgery, neurosurgery and pathology.
ANZSOPS has a number of functions:
- To advance education in the field of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery. The Society developed as a ‘special interest group’ within RANZCO to enhance the scholarship and expertise of its own members, and to augment the oculoplastic knowledge base of all ophthalmologists across the nation. ANZSOPS continues to be active in organizing meetings, symposiums and courses.
- To provide education to future ophthalmologists in the field of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery. ANZSOPS members provide input into curriculum development and competency guidelines to RANZCO in the training of tomorrow’s ophthalmologists. Most members are involved in regular teaching and learning activities with current ophthalmology trainees, and several Oculoplastic Units in Australia and New Zealand have established Fellowship programs which are highly competitive and attract advanced trainees from around the world.
- To enable engagement of ANZSOPS members with the international community in educational and research endeavours. ANZSOPS has fostered strong ties with similar societies across the Asia-Pacific region, the USA and Europe.
- ANZSOPS also has a role in patient education and community education in the field of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery.